Saturday, April 20, 2013

A Breast Cancer Fundraiser to Remember

Today we had the honor of donating services for the benefit fundraiser in memory of Jeanelle Cross and in honor of Dr. Sheila Lemke for the Upstate Cancer Center. Dr. Lemke, together with the staff at the Upstate Cancer Center, provided exceptional care to Jeanelle during her 18 month battle with breast cancer.

John calling another lucky number
I was asked by my longtime friend and DJ colleague, John Parolin, who was helping his sister, a close friend of Jeanelle. John and I did the event together, and it was a great success. The benefit was hosted by Sharkey's Sportsbar and Restaurant of Liverpool, owned by Jim Nichols, who kindly donated the space.

Hundreds of people attended and enjoyed a pizza buffet, dozens of great gift basket raffles, door prizes, a bake sale with a giant selection of delicious treats, plant sale, T-Shirts and much more.

Basket Raffle Winners!
The benefit was fitting for me personally, because in December 2012, my grandmother was diagnosed with lung cancer. I've spent many a long day in the ROC (Regional Oncology Center) over the past 5 months with her in Chemotherapy, and the folks who work there are second to none. They are kind, caring, professional, and always eager to explain the process.



The entire event was a lot of fun, and a great opportunity to play a truly diverse list of music catering to all ages.

I'm glad to offer my services for any such event. If I'm not booked and am available to do it, and there isn't a pressing family event that day, I am more than happy to be a part of any event like this. Please don't hesitate to ask! :)



*To donate to the cause online, please visit: http://www.foundationforupstate.org/jcross.

Best of luck to Jeanelle's family and the folks at the Upstate Cancer Center!

-Kirk Rothrum
CNY Select DJs Syracuse, NY




1 comment:

  1. An amazing day for an awesome cause, my friend!

    Not enough words to express the thanks that are deserved for the time and work you devoted to ensuring today was the success it turned out to be. Since nothing was asked of us, the very least I can do is make sure anyone who might see this understands the amount of professionalism that you put into your craft. Very few people would pay as much attention to detail when they're working ON the clock, but the fact that you treated it with the same amount of care as you would a paying gig speaks volumes about the quality of not only your business, but also of your character. There's no doubt that your consideration of the little things that needed to be done took the weight off of a lot of people who had enough on their minds already, and was a HUGE factor in the great time everyone says they had.

    I hope I'm not coming off as overly gushy here, I just want to make sure everyone understands the true quality you offer, that sets you apart from any other options they may consider. Like I said, it's the very least I can do.

    Thanks, again Kirk! God bless, man!

    ReplyDelete